A typical field trip visit to the farm:
- 10:00-10:15 Group arrives, put down bags, use restrooms, run around and make name cookies.
- 10:15 group circle up in center gathering area to do introductions, go over farm rules, and the agenda of the day.
- 10:30 Break into groups of 10 to rotate through 15 minute stations. (For example: observation station, Identification station, daily garden work station).
- 11:50 Break for lunch with snacks supplemented by the garden
- 12:30 Play an active game, and have a closing circle up and review before the group gets back on the bus at 1:30.
We will be charging a fee of $5.00 per student that include up to three free teachers and chaperones. Each additional adult will be charged $8.00 per person. We are unable to take more than 30 students per visit. We also offer partial and full scholarships.
Location and Amenities:
We are located in Potomac, MD on Brickyard Rd between MacArthur Boulevard and Falls Road. We have a central area where classes and groups gather under a shade structure with picnic tables. We also have bathroom amenities.
To participate all you have to do is...
- Contact us to set up a time and date
- Upon confirmation, print waivers and have all participants sign
- Have students fill out age-appropriate pre-visit assessment test
- Show up with one chaperone per 10 students with bagged lunches
- Have students fill out post-visit assessments and program evaluations
Field trip details:
What to bring:
- Re-usable water bottles if available
- Hats for the sun
- Bagged lunches
- Comfortable clothes that can get dirty
- Sneakers or weather appropriate footwear
Have a representative from Brickyard Educatioal Farm come into your elementary or high school classroom for an interactive presentation. High school presentations revolve around local food systems, and sustainable farming practices and nutritent cycles. Elementary school presentations are more tactile with subjects including compost and soil, the the plant life cycle. See our in-class presentation attachments.
In-class costs are $50/hr, or $5 per student per hour, whichever is least expensive for you.